Wednesday, February 15, 2023

How to Upcycle a Garden Cart or Roadside Stand

Roadside Egg & Produce Stand

Gardening has always been a long time hobby of mine, but over the years, I had the desire to turn it into a small business. I started with a roadside vegetable and egg stand last year.

Instead of building a stand from scratch, I wanted to upcycle something to save money. We decided to upcycle our unused rabbit hutch into a moveable cart.




Upcycled Rabbit Hutch


We hadn't had rabbits for a few years, and we hadn't used the hutch as a broody chicken maternity ward in a couple years either. I suggested we convert it into a moveable roadside stand.

First we cleaned out the inside and added fresh paint where needed. Then we removed some of the sides and wiring and checked for leaks in the roof. The shingles were still in great shape, luckily. To finish it, we added long handles and wheels.






Selling Eggs


We removed the left side door and just kept the right side door so there was an enclosed side for eggs. I added chalkboard paint to the inside and outside of the door and added a clip with information on the inside of it.
I made sheets that people can take with them regarding the safety information on washed and unwashed eggs.





I tried to sell a few seedlings as well, but since I hadn't planned for it, I did not have the surplus. I might try again this season with more preparation.

Washed and Unwashed Eggs Fresh from the Farm 

Dirty eggs have a film on the outside of them called the "bloom." This protects the contents of the egg acting as a barrier and preventing anything from entering through the pores of the shell.

Generally speaking, unwashed eggs will last for up to two weeks unrefrigerated and up to three months refrigerated.

Washed eggs should be refrigerated immediately as once the pores of the shell are opened, bacteria can enter the egg. This is where salmonella can form.

They will last up to two months in the refrigerator; however, some say they may not taste as fresh as their unwashed counterparts.

** NOTE: If you store unwashed eggs on the counter or around other food or even handle them while cooking - wash hands, counter tops, and containers that may come into contact with fresh foods. 

How to Wash Fresh Eggs

You do not need any soap or detergent when washing eggs. You can gently rub them with your hands or cloth under warm water. You may need a sponge or something more coarse to remove dirt or poop buildup.

Washed and Unwashed Manufactured Store Eggs

Commercial egg producers spray their eggs with a chemical sanitizer before boxing them. 

Selling Produce

Once the spring and summer were in full bloom, I began adding produce to the stand. Berry season came first, and for a few weeks, I was picking bowls full of berries.




Cucumbers were next.



Soon the zucchini, beans, and tomatoes were overflowing as well.




Selling Gourds

Soon came the end of summer and fall, and it was time to sell gourds and pumpkins. This was my favorite time to display the vegetables.










I think gourds and pumpkins are the coolest decorations, and I would probably enjoy them all year long. I have been lucky with my fall harvests the past two years. I'm looking forward to crafting birdhouse gourds and marketing produce more this year. More to come on that later!

I am also looking forward to making new signs for the stand.





No comments:

Post a Comment